A city renowned for its casually elegant lifestyle, Austin is known as the “Live Music Capital of the World” with more than 100 live music venues. Austin serves as the capitol of the state of Texas and is home to the University of Texas at Austin.
Austin Fun Facts:
- Austin’s current population is 790,390. Throughout its history, the city has doubled its population every 20 years.
- Austin has no state or local corporate or personal income taxes.
- The university of Texas at Austin has the fifth-largest single campus enrollment in the nation. The current enrollment is more than 50,000 students.
- The Colorado River runs through downtown but residents call it Lady Bird Lake.
- The highest point in Austin is Mount Bonnell at 785 feet.
- Austin boasts the highest annual bookstore sales in the U.S. at $195 per household.
- Collectively, the festival South by Southwest (SXSW) is the highest revenue-producing event for the Austin economy, with an estimated economic impact of $167 million in 2012.
- Austin residents have the highest internet usage in all of Texas.
- Austin is home to North America’s largest urban bat population.
- The Austin, Texas State Capitol building, which is made of pink granite, is the largest state capitol building in the U.S. The dome of the Capitol stands seven feet higher than that of the Nation’s Capitol in Washington D.C.